NiceLabel Automation Compatibility with NiceLabel Designers V6 and NiceWatch V5
Article ID: 251 - Updated: Nov 10, 2017 - Products: Automation - Version: V1 - Category: Compatibility and Migration
NiceLabel Automation is built upon new-generation core and as such does not support the entire feature-set of the previous-generation software, such as NiceWatch. Majority of the existing NiceWatch configurations can be imported into NiceLabel Automation and used right away. However, there is a list of features that are not supported, yet.
For example, there are some label design features that you can use inside label designer, but you cannot use those in the current version of NiceLabel Automation. When you try to print a label with incompatible features, NiceLabel Automation will display a warning and details about the problem. You will have to remove the unsupported functionality from the label template. Newer versions of NiceLabel Automation will gradually add the functionality to match the label designer.
Below is the list of unsupported functionality compared to NiceWatch V5 and NiceLabel designers V6.
Not Supported NiceWatch V5 Features
- E-mail trigger
- HL7 support
- Send XML to SAP action (The same functionality is available with the action HTTP Request)
- Close label action
Not Supported Label Design Features
- Bar codes: Royal Mail, Australia Post 4-state, USPS Intelligent mail, Code128 Pharmacy, Code-32, Kix, MSI, Plessey, Anker, Pharmacode, all Postnet barcodes
SSCC-18 (There is a workaround, you can use the GS1-128 barcode to create SSCC-18)
- 2D Codes: 2D Pharmacode, Codablock F, GridMatrix, DotCode
- Functions: User defined check-digit algorithms, Currency exchange, Lookup table, PIATS Code
- Objects: Curved text, OLE object
- Object formatting: »Stacked text« for Text object, Boundaries (cut out areas/trapeze text) for Text Box object, "Charactes spacing" for Text object, the option "Use the same size for all tect boxes with enabled 'Best fit' option" for Text Box object
- Label formatting: Multiband printing, Smart replacement of printer fonts, Store/Recall printing mode, Stocks (the option »Label is linked to stock«), Rounded label corners in label preview inside Automation Builder, Object „label“ not exposed in VBScript
- Variables: remember last used value
- NiceCommands: EXPORTLABEL
- Device internal fonts, when you use printer drivers other than NiceLabel printer drivers
Other Unsupported Features
- Fonts downloaded to printer memory cannot be used
- Automation uses IronPython, which is .NET implementation of Python language.
- IronPython does not support Python C Extension Modules (.PYD extension). Much of this missing functionality is compensated for by the availability of equivalent .NET libraries.
- IronPython is embedded into Automation. However, if you want to use desktop Python modules, you have to install Python on the computer. IronPython is based on Python 2.7 and will not work with Python 3.X.
Some of NiceWatch functionality is supported differently in NiceLabel Automation. In this case, when importing existing NiceWatch configuration, NiceLabel Automation will re-configure the features into using the new syntax.
Reconfiguration of NiceWatch V5 Features
- Filter definition and filter action are two items inside the configuration. Now you can use one filter definition in many triggers. NiceWatch was limited to one filter per trigger.
- File trigger option "Save incoming data to file" is reconfigured with new action "Save data to file".
- "Printer status report" action is reconfigured into new "Printer Status" action and "Save Data to File" or "Send Data to TCP/IP".
- "SAP AII" trigger is reconfigured as "HTTP" trigger.
Requesting Support for a Particular Feature
If you are migrating from NiceWatch to NiceLabel Automation and need a feature that is currently not supported, please contact us. You can influence the feature list that will be available in the next release of NiceLabel Automation software.
Make sure to verify, if the requested functiontality has been added in NiceLabel Automation on new-generation NiceLabel 2017 platform.