Printer usage and your license
Article ID: 310 - Updated: Feb 23, 2021 - Version: V2019 - Category: License and Activation
How does your license affect printer usage?
NiceLabel on-premises licenses are perpetual. There are two licensing options:
- Single-User. Your license allows you to run one instance of NiceLabel on a single computer. You can use an unlimited number of printers from this computer.
- Multi-User. Your license allows you to run an unlimited number of NiceLabel 2019 instances on an unlimited number of computers if these computers can communicate with each other and belong to the same domain. The number of printers you can use is limited by the number of “print seats” that come with your license. All your computers use the same license key.
If your multi-user license regularly exceeds the number of print seats, you should purchase a license upgrade.
NiceLabel Label Cloud licenses are based on the subscription model.
For licensing details see the document NiceLabel 2019 - Licensing and Activation.
Counting licensed printers
All NiceLabel 2019 multi-user applications track the number of printers in use in the Licensed Printers list. If nobody uses a printer for seven days, NiceLabel 2019 automatically removes this printer from the list. This frees up a print seat for another printer.
NOTE: To ensure uninterrupted sharing of multi-user licensing information, NiceLabel 2019 requires opening ports 6772 and 6773 on your computer. When you start a NiceLabel application, the NiceLabel Proxy Service 2019 sends broadcast packets to these two ports and receives replies from all other NiceLabel applications in your labeling environment.
A printer counts as a single printer when:
- Multiple computers use the same shared network printer’s IP address.
- Another workstation also shares and uses a locally connected printer.
Printer Model names are hard-coded in the printer driver. You cannot change these names, but you can edit Printer Names.
NOTE: If you access your printer from more than one local port, this counts as multiple printers. If you switch from one local port to another (for example, from LPT1 to USB) and print, this counts as multiple printers.
Counting printers in Web Printing
If you share your labels or solutions with external partners outside your LMS environment, you can use Web Printing. NiceLabel includes these printers in your Licensed Printers list. Each used printer takes one license seat.
Reserving license seats
Use printer reservation for your mission critical printers. The reserved printers are always ready for printing. Adding other printers does not remove the reserved printers from the Licensed Printers list.
NiceLabel 2019 automatically removes the unreserved idle printers from the Licensed Printers list after seven days.
To reserve or unreserve printers in NiceLabel Designer, Automation and Print:
- Go to File > Options > Licensed Printers. The Licensed Printers table opens.
- Enable/disable Reserved for your printers.
To reserve or unreserve printers in Control Center:
- Go to the Printers tab> Licensed Printers. The Licensed Printers table opens.
- Select your printers and click Reserve printer or Unreserve printer button.
You cannot manually remove printers from your Licensed Printers list. NiceLabel removes the printer from the list if it is not used for 7 days.
Using too many printers
A multi-user license allows you to use the purchased quota of printer seats. If you exceed this number, NiceLabel 2019 activates a 30-day grace period and a warning message appears (which doesn't affect printing). The grace period allows you to continue printing with double your license seats, even when you temporarily exceed your license allowance.
The Licensed Printers list purges unused printers after seven days. This reduces the number of active printers and frees up license seats.
After the grace period, if the printer usage list contains more printers than license seats, the number of available printers automatically reduces to match the license quota. Active printer seats remain only for the most recently used printers.
If you must use more printers, upgrade your license. Otherwise, wait until your unused printers automatically disappear from the Licensed Printers list after seven days.
Domains and NiceLabel licenses
When you host the on-premise NiceLabel LMS on your own equipment, we require that all instances of your multi-user license belong to the same Domain or Workgroup.
If you must have separate Domains, you can only use the same multi-user license if you first establish a 2-way trust relationship between your Domains.
NiceLabel applications use a proxy service to communicate the multi-user licensing information:
- Computers with NiceLabel Designer, NiceLabel Print, and NiceLabel Automation use NiceLabel Proxy Service 2019 on each workstation. Open port 6772 TCP/UDP for inbound communications.
- Computers with NiceLabel Control Center use the NiceLabelEPMProxyService and port 6773 TCP/UDP for inbound communications.
Computers with both Designer and Control Center installed use both NiceLabel Proxy Service 2019 and NiceLabelEPMProxyService allowing incoming traffic on ports 6772 and 6773 TCP/UDP.