Pre-configuring NiceLabel installation with product.config
Article ID: 289 - Updated: Mar 4, 2019 - Version: V2019, V2017 - Category: Install and Upgrade
Installation of NiceLabel software can be semi-automated using pre-configuration options. Main NiceLabel preferences are defined in the configuration file product.config. You can edit this XML-structured text file to conform to the requirements of your environment.
You can take this file from the already installed NiceLabel 2017, edit it and save it in the same folder as the NiceLabel 2017 installer file. The options as defined within the file are applied during the installation
You will mostly pre-configure the following parameters:
- License key. This is useful for multi-user NiceLabel products (such as NiceLabel LMS Enterprise), where all NiceLabel clients use the same license key.
- User interface language. You can force NiceLabel to run in a specific language. The user can also change the user interface language later in the application. Refer to this Microsoft article about language IDs. Make sure to use decimal values for language ID (not hex values).
- Default directories. Where NiceLabel searches for the requested files (labels, solutions, images, file-based databases).
- Location of global variables. The global variables can be used from on some shared network folder, or from Control Center.
- HTTP address of the linked Control Center server. The client will send print events to the Control Center and allow tight integration with its Document Storage.
- Tracing mode. You can enable tracing mode for troubleshooting.
The file product.config is saved into NiceLabel 2017 system folder. A default location is the following folder:
If you copy product.config from the existing NiceLabel installation, make sure to omit the client-specific parameters that must be unique per computer. Such XML elements are <MachineName> and <PrintManagementId>.
You can download a sample product.config.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>