NiceWatch server stops responding or displays the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command"
Article ID: 149 - Updated: Nov 15, 2011 - Products: - Version: V5 - Category: Printing
When a large number of labels is printed the NiceLabel software can stop responding and display an error regarding memory allocation problem. When you closely monitor the system you can detect a raise in the memory consumption rates, and eventually system resources are depleted and the system will hang.
If using NiceWatch you will see the Windows error message
Not enough storage is available to process this command
You can also experience the print jobs stucking in the Windows Spooler when you print the labels from your applications using API calls (ActiveX, .NET) to the NiceLabel print engine.
The problem is usually replicated on the Windows 2003 Server operating system.
Ths solution involves three steps:
Download and install the hotfix for Windows 2003 Server from Microsoft's support Web site.
Skip this step if you use some other operating system and experience the same problem.
Increase the value for IRPStackSize in the registry. This is a parameter that specifies the number of stack locations in I/O request packets (IRPs) that are used by the operating system. Each stack uses 36 bytes of memory for each receive buffer. The default value of the IRPStackSize parameter is 15, you can increase it in steps of 3, the maximum value is 50. The process requires an edit of your current registry so please fo this with caution.
Do the following:
- Click on Start > Run > regedit & press Enter
- Find this key name HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters
- Locate IRPStackSize
- If this value does not exist Right Click on Parameters key and Click on New > Dword Value and type in IRPStackSize under the name.
- The name of the value must be exactly (combination of uppercase and lowercase letters) the same as written above.
- Right Click on the IRPStackSize and click on Modify.
- Select Decimal and for the value enter 30.
- Click OK.
- You can close the registry editor and restart your computer.
Not required, but it is recommended to upgrade to NiceWatch v5.4 or above. Version 5.4 provides additional optimizations and bugfixes for high-throughput 24/7 printing scenarios.