NiceLabel Label Converter
Article ID: 307 - Updated: Nov 10, 2020 - Version: Any - Category: Compatibility and Migration
Digital transformation of the entire labeling process with NiceLabel starts with the label designer. The customers who plan to modernize their labeling using NiceLabel software, expect a time efficient and straightforward migration.
The usual hurdle that the customers switching to NiceLabel platform face is the conversion of existing label templates to NiceLabel format. Significant time and effort might have been spent creating the existing label templates. New tools and services are available for the new customers to help them bring their existing labeling assets to the NiceLabel platform quicker and with less investment.
Label converter transforms NiceLabel v5/v6, Seagull Scientific BarTender and Teklynx CODESOFT label templates to the NiceLabel format.
Label converter does not produce a 100 % conversion and does not produce the complete one-to-one mapping between the existing labels and the newly created NiceLabel labels. Technology background of the label designers is too diverse for such results. Also, the one-to-one mapping rarely makes sense. If the users were not using best-practice label design techniques before, and ended up with hundredths or thousands of label templates, migrating to NiceLabel platform is a good opportunity to consolidate and optimize their label templates.
To use the converter, a licensed copy of the existing labeling software is necessary. For BarTender, you must have version 2016 or above. For Codesoft, you need the "Enterprise" product level. Converter will also work with the trial of NiceLabel labeling software.
|Feature/Software||Seagull Bartender||Codesoft Teklynx||NiceLabel|
|Line||☑||All lines start at top left corner||☑|
|Barcode||* See list below||Supports NiceLabel-supported barcodes. Other get imported as Code128.||☑|
|Variables||Name and default value||☑||☑|
|Database||❌||MS Excel, MS Access, MS SQL||☑|
NiceLabel v5/v6 support
Not all design features from NiceLabel v5 or v6 are supported in NiceLabel 2019. See the KB article Differences in NiceLabel 2019 compared with NiceLabel 6.
- The following barcode types are supported, when recognized. Many barcode parameters are not supported. Aztec, Codabar, Code128, Code39, Code93, DataMatrix, Ean8, Ean13, IntelligentMail, I2of5, Maxicode, MSI, PDF417, QR, GS1Databar, UPCA, UPCE
- When barcode type cannot be recognized, Code128 type is used.
- Only name and default value is imported for Variables.
- All SubStrings are converted into variables using the same names.
- When a text or barcode object consists of many substrings, the Concatenate function is created in the converted label.
- Time and Date data types are imported as time and date variables. The default format for Date is "dd/MM/yyyy" and for time "HH:mm:ss".
- Embedded images are imported.
Not supported features
- Does not convert complex Text objects (RTF, word processor, arc, symbol font characters, HTML, XAML).
- Does not convert objects: RFID, Shape, MagneticStripe.
- Does not convert objects that have "Visual Basic Script" as type of the data source.
- Barcode human readable cannot be detected. See topic Configurable options below.
- Barcode X dimension cannot be detected. See topic Configurable options below.
- Object anchoring point cannot always be determined (in this case it is set to top-left).
- Does not convert database data sources.
- Does not convert encoders.
- Page and paper setup
- Text (Font is set to that of the first letter)
- Oblique line (all lines start in the top left corner(with rotation = 0))
- Barcode (when NiceLabel doesn't support the barcode type, it imports it as Code128)
- Code128 type is set to B, can be later changed in NiceLabel
- EAN13 automatically displays check digit in human readable in NiceLabel
- Codabar: Start and stop characters are "A"
- Datamatrix: For automatic sizing
- ITF14: automatically includes check digit in human readable in NiceLabel
- QR: doesn't set ECC
- Aztec: doesn't set ECC
- Bookland: only works, when value length is 2 or 5
- MicroQR: Has a margin in Codesoft but not in NiceLabel, comes off a bit shifted
- Database (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL)
Not supported features
- Rich text
- Table lookup
You can define defaults for some of the configuration options. Update the following file.
%LocalAppData%\NiceLabel\NiceLabel Label Converter\NiceLabel-LabelConverter.exe.config
- DefaultBarTenderBarcodeHumanReadable. Defines whether you want the human readable in the converted label. True/False.
- DefaultBarTenderBarcodeBaseModuleSize. Defines the barcode X dimension. Each unit is 0.01 mm.
- IncludeBackgroundImageInConvertedLabel. Defines whether you want the preview of the original label inserted as background image. True/False.
You must select a folder containing legacy label files.
- By default, the converted labels are saved in a subfolder "ConvertedLabels" and label previews in a folder ”ConvertedLabels\LabelPreviews" to allow visual verification of the conversion.
- When destination location is Document Storage in NiceLabel LMS and you have revision history enabled, the converted file is checked-in and the revision comment contains link to the original file name. Also make sure to use the switch UseInstalledProduct (see the topic Use license of the installed NiceLabel software below).
- When a label cannot be automatically converted, a text document with more details is created in a folder "ConvertedLabels\CompatibilityReport".
Assigning data to dynamic objects
You can assign values for label’s dynamic objects in the label preview. In this case, the label preview will show objects with the provided data, not with question marks. To use the values, create a file variabledata.txt file with key-value pairs and save it in the folder with original label files.
Use license of the installed NiceLabel software
To use currently installed NiceLabel software for conversion of labels start the converter with parameter “UseInstalledProduct”. This is useful when labels use global variables.