NiceLabel Label Converter
Article ID: 307 - Updated: Feb 23, 2021 - Version: Any - Category: Compatibility and Migration
The usual hurdle that you face when switching to NiceLabel platform is the conversion of existing label templates to the NiceLabel format. New tools and services are available for the new customers to help them bring their existing labeling assets to the NiceLabel platform quicker and with less investment.
Label converter transforms NiceLabel v5/v6, Seagull Scientific BarTender, and Teklynx CODESOFT label templates to the NiceLabel format.
The label converter does not produce 100% accurate conversions and does not produce the complete one-to-one mapping between the existing labels and the newly created NiceLabel labels. The technology background of different label designers is too diverse for such results. If you were not using best-practice label design techniques before, and ended up with hundredths or thousands of label templates, migrating to NiceLabel platform is a good opportunity to consolidate and optimize your label templates and solutions.
To use the converter, a licensed copy of the existing labeling software is necessary. For BarTender, you must have version 2016 or above. For Codesoft, you need the "Enterprise" product level. The converter also works with the trial version of NiceLabel labeling software.
|Feature/Software||Seagull Bartender||Codesoft Teklynx||NiceLabel|
|Line||☑||All lines start at top left corner||☑|
|Barcode||* See list below||Supports NiceLabel-supported barcodes. Other get imported as Code128.||☑|
|Variables||Name and default value||☑||☑|
|Database||❌||MS Excel, MS Access, MS SQL||☑|
NiceLabel v5/v6 support
NiceLabel 2019 does not support all design features from NiceLabel v5 or v6. See the KB article Differences between NiceLabel 2019 and NiceLabel 6.
- Some barcode parameters do not convert. If the converter does not recognize the barcode type, it generates Code128.
Converter supports the following barcode types: Aztec, Codabar, Code128, Code39, Code93, DataMatrix, Ean8, Ean13, IntelligentMail, I2of5, Maxicode, MSI, PDF417, QR, GS1Databar, UPCA, UPCE
- Only variable name and the default value is imported for Variables.
- SubStrings convert into variables using the same names.
- When a text or barcode object consists of many substrings, the converter creates the Concatenate function.
- Converter imports Time and Date data types as time and date variables. The default format for Date is "dd/MM/yyyy" and for time "HH:mm:ss".
- Embedded images are imported.
Not supported features
- Complex Text objects (RTF, word processor, arc, symbol font characters, HTML, XAML).
- Objects: RFID, Shape, MagneticStripe.
- Objects that have "Visual Basic Script" as a type of the data source.
- Barcode human readable. See topic Configurable options below.
- Barcode X dimension. See topic Configurable options below.
- Object anchoring point cannot always be determined (in this case it is set to top-left).
- Database data sources.
- Page and paper setup
- Text (Font is set to that of the first letter)
- Oblique line (all lines start in the top left corner(with rotation = 0))
- Barcode (NiceLabel converts unsupported barcodes to Code128)
- Code128 type is set to B, and you can later change them in NiceLabel.
- EAN13 automatically displays check digit in human readable in NiceLabel.
- Codabar: Start and stop characters are "A".
- Datamatrix: For automatic sizing.
- ITF14: automatically includes check digit in human readable in NiceLabel.
- QR: doesn't set ECC.
- Aztec: doesn't set ECC.
- Bookland: only works, when value length is 2 or 5.
- MicroQR: Has a margin in Codesoft but not in NiceLabel, comes off a bit shifted.
- Database (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL)
Not supported features
- Rich text
- Table lookup
You can define defaults for some of the configuration options. Update the following file.
%LocalAppData%\NiceLabel\NiceLabel Label Converter\NiceLabel-LabelConverter.exe.config
- DefaultBarTenderBarcodeHumanReadable. Defines whether you want the human readable in the converted label. True/False.
- DefaultBarTenderBarcodeBaseModuleSize. Defines the barcode X dimension. Each unit is 0.01 mm.
- IncludeBackgroundImageInConvertedLabel. Defines whether you want the preview of the original label inserted as a background image. True/False.
Select a folder containing legacy label files.
- By default, the converted labels save to a subfolder "ConvertedLabels" and label previews to a folder ”ConvertedLabels\LabelPreviews" to allow visual verification of the conversion.
- When the destination location is Document Storage in NiceLabel LMS and you have revision history enabled, the converted files are checked-in and the revision comments contain links to the original file names. Use the switch UseInstalledProduct (see the topic Use license of the installed NiceLabel software below).
- If converting labels fails, a text document with more details is created in a folder "ConvertedLabels\CompatibilityReport".
Assigning data to dynamic objects
You can assign values for the dynamic label objects in your label previews. In this case, the label previews show objects with your provided data, not with question marks. To use your values, create a file variabledata.txt file with key-value pairs and save it in the folder with original label files.
Use license of the installed NiceLabel software
To use currently installed NiceLabel software for conversion of labels start the converter with the parameter “UseInstalledProduct”. This is useful when labels contain global variables.